Re: On the subject of the VFS layer (was Re: VFS questions)

J. Sean Connell (ankh@canuck.gen.nz)
Mon, 5 May 1997 13:14:32 +1200 (NZST)

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Uh, yeah. Known problem. Both Stephen and I know about it, but as you
> said, it requires changing the VFS layer, and then fixing all of the
> filesystem code, and we've been both too busy. The ext2 error already
> does the checking... there's just no way to report it up to the VFS
> layer. If someone wants to take fixing this up as a project, you're
> right it's long overdue.
>
> Sean, you apparently know enough kernel programming to have at least
> figured this out; you want to try give a hand at fixing it? Or Ingo,
> you had independently figured this out as well, and having seen the
> other kernel patches you've done, I'm sure you'd be able to do it....
> Anybody else interested?

Yeah, I'm game. I've been kinda looking for something to hack on for a
while now, and I think I've found it =)

Since there seems to be a lot of discussion about the VFS layer at the
moment on linux-kernel, perhaps we should form linux-vfs to discuss the
future shape of the VFS layer, to try and unclutter this list a bit.
Unless there's already a list for this which I've missed. Tom? Dave?
Ted?

> (Delegation is a wonderful thing, especially when you're too hosed and
> too busy. :-)

ain't it just? =)

--
J. S. Connell      | Systems Adminstrator, ICONZ.  Any opinions stated above
ankh@canuck.gen.nz | are not my employers', not my boyfriends', my God's, my