Re: Web Filesystem?

erkki.s@sci.fi
Sun, 4 May 1997 13:45:34 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Michael B Herf wrote:

> Has anyone considered adding a "Web filesystem" (a la Plan9) to Linux?
>
> It would be really great to be able to have a regular file that was
> really a link to a file on a web server somewhere.

You can probably build one yourself easily with muserfs (at
tsx-11.mit.edu). It is basically a kernel module that allows you to write
user level file system drivers. It is not perfect yet, though.. I managed
to create 58 zombies with in and bring my system to a state where it could
not be brought nicely down. The module has an example driver for ftpfs.

I don't think filesystems like this should be built in to the kernel
anyway..

'''' '' '' '' '' '' | Erkki Seppälä, erkki.s@sci.fi | ____ |
,, ,, ,, ,, ,,, | --> http://www.sci.fi/~tes/flux/ | \\ ` Sigma |
,,,, ,, ,, ,, ,, | flux/Inside Informatics ry | _/__, project |
'''' '' '' '' ''' | --> http://inside.edu.lahti.fi/ | ~~~~ |