Re: On the subject of the VFS layer (was Re: VFS questions)y

Stig Venaas (venaas@nvg.ntnu.no)
Sun, 4 May 1997 09:23:30 +0200 (MET DST)

> On 4 May 1997, Jon Peatfield wrote:
> > > The entire VFS layer is going to be overhauled in the near future, and
> > > such issues will be considered heavily along the way.
> > During these changes it might be worth looking at making it easier to
> > stack file-systems etc for lofs, unionfs, cachefs etc.
>
> Anyone thought about implementing a nullfs?

I'm looking into it. If I finish it, I should be able to expand the nullfs
into other types of layers. It's possible to do these things with the
current VFS layer, but I second Jon, it would be nice if a new VFS layer
made stacking easier. It's a very powerful idea making it easier for
people to develop and test new ideas. I'm wondering if one could create a
null layer (nullfs) that can take plug-in modules for other kinds of
layers.

Stig