Re: On the subject of the VFS layer (was Re: VFS questions)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
4 May 1997 00:01:07 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199705030803.EAA02418@jenolan.caipgeneral>,
David S. Miller <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 19:38:32 +1200 (NZST)
> From: "J. Sean Connell" <ankh@canuck.gen.nz>
>
> Even though it would require a total overhaul of every filesystem
> and the VFS layer, it doesn't seem to me that I could cheerfully
> use Linux in a zero-fault-tolerance environment when the fs code
> simply disowns the fs when it finds a single measly bad block...
>
>The entire VFS layer is going to be overhauled in the near future, and
>such issues will be considered heavily along the way.
>
>(As a side note, in a "zero fault tolerance" environment, you wouldn't
> buy disks which could ever report bad blocks,

Umm, I dunno about that. Even in a zero fault tolerance
environment, it would be nice to have some sort of reporting after
Joe in marketing loses it and hammers an ice pick into the top
platter of the news spool.

____
david parsons \bi/ orc@pell.chi.il.us
\/