Compression first (was: loop driver)

Tomasz Motylewski (motylews@cobra.urz.unibas.ch)
Sun, 4 May 1997 03:42:05 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> I'd like to consider changing the loop driver to allow plug-in modules.
> This would be like the current PPP compressor. Each plug-in would register
> its transfer functions with the loop driver. If necessary, utilities could
> use ioctls and such to fill any special needs of a plug-in.

Yes, exactly. Both compression and en*ry*tion libraries are widely available
outside the US. So we should just support compression in all possible places
and never mention the other word.

BTW. compression also serves quite well the purpose of protecting the data
passing through the network. Scanning for "*assword" is a trivial task, but
when it gets compressed and multiplexed with 1000 other streams of data
passing through the router decompressing would degrade performace too much.
Compressed and en*ry*ted data have high entropy and look the same without
deep analysis.

> We can't stop people from adding GPS and navigation software to linux,
> and building a cruise missle with it, so I think this would be
> A Good Thing(tm) legally. Tomasz Motylewski wrote me and stated,
> "...And we are very surprised that someone uses PGP and other strange
> and slow compression modules ;-)"
>
> Comments?

Let's rename PGP to PGC or pgzip - Pretty Good ZIP :-) A bit slow, but has
more options :-)

--
Tomasz Motylewski