Re: SCSI disk devices, cXtXsXdX Naming scheme -NOT- Please

Stefan Monnier (monnier+/news/lists/linux/kernel@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
02 May 1997 19:54:11 -0400

Evan Jeffrey <ejeffrey@eliot82.wustl.edu> writes:
> /dev/scsi/dumbnames or something, and then make symlinks to them in the /dev
> directory with names like sda1 or whatever your favorite names are you get

I'm afraid I won't comment on this, since metoo-ing is such a disgusting
activity.

> done, though I don't know where the c,t,s, and d letters come from. I

If you put them in the correct order (switching d and s), as on Solaris
machines (where it's /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7) then a sensible interpretation would
be "Controller", "Target", "Device" and "Slice".

Stefan