Re: Solaris source

David S. Miller (davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:51:56 -0400

From: Julio Sanchez <jsanchez@esegi.es>
Date: 29 Apr 1997 12:48:06 +0200

That would be silly of Sun. I do not consider Sun, HP, Digital,
etc. as Linux enemies. I think that their success is good for
Linux. And Linux success can only be good for them. They may see
it as a menace, but they are shortsighted. In the long run,
widespread use of Linux may keep their UNIX offerings viable
against Microsoft's growth.

Let's not fall pray to a "divide and conquer" strategy.

Like other companies, SunSoft would like to continue to exist.
SunSoft's existance depends upon things like Solaris selling well, if
Linux poses any sort of threat to Solaris's sales they will strike
back because without sales of Solaris, SunSoft would soon be history.

Unlike some other Unix vendors, Sun's software department is not
firmly engulfed inside their hardware department, they are a complete
seperate entity, so thus cannot depend on hardware sales to get them
out of a rut should Solaris sales go down considerably.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><