Re: Signal 7 and "Couldn't get a free page..."

Hubert Mantel (mantel@suse.de)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:07:49 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> ok, here are the remaining two exceptions, to see a "hardware problem"
> message explicitly :)
>
> dont use it in a production system, unless you want to make users able to
> flood your syslog. And it only compiles i havent tested it, 2.0.30 kernel.

One of my machines compiling kernel all the time just encountered the SIG7
error after about half an hour. This was found in the syslog:

Apr 29 10:55:50 Celsius kernel: SIGBUS: ayiee, couldnt allocate page table.

Apparently, "__get_free_page" failed. The machine has 64MB of RAM and
120MB Swap. Only 7% of swap have been used when the error occurred.

I'm getting "Couldn't get a free page..." quite often on several different
machines. Of course, modifying the values for freepages helps for a while,
but I think this is not the solution for these problems.

Hubert mantel@suse.de