Re: Solaris source

Julio Sanchez (jsanchez@esegi.es)
29 Apr 1997 12:48:06 +0200

jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz (Jakub Jelinek) writes:

> Several people in Sun already told me that Sun's main aim in the OS field is
> to beat Linux. I keep telling them, hey, fight against Microsoft, but they
> probably want to compete with real Operating Systems and not with Microsoft
> crap...

That would be silly of Sun. I do not consider Sun, HP, Digital,
etc. as Linux enemies. I think that their success is good for Linux.
And Linux success can only be good for them. They may see it as a
menace, but they are shortsighted. In the long run, widespread use of
Linux may keep their UNIX offerings viable against Microsoft's growth.

Let's not fall pray to a "divide and conquer" strategy.

Julio

--
Julio Sanchez, SGI Soluciones Globales Internet
Tel: (91) 804 28 37 Fax: (91) 804 14 05  WWW: http://www.esegi.es