Re: procfs problems

Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.OIT.IUPUI.EDU)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:12:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Evan Jeffrey wrote:

> Stefan Monnier said:
[deletia]
> >Of course, I'd also love to see the /system/info directory be
> >organised. Ideally, the content of each and every file would be in a standard
> >(and binary, but I'm sure string-lovers will jump at me right here) format

Oooh! ASN.1 anyone?

> >with library functions to turn those binary streams into strings (and a
> >corresponding bin2text programs for those who want to replace
> >"cat /proc/cpuinfo" by "bin2text /system/info/cpu"). That standard format woul
>
> Not binary! This is something I really do object to. The whole point of
> /proc is to provide system/process info in a human readable format. I also

I think here lies part of the problem. There are two camps: one thinks
that /proc is meant to be human-readable, and programs trying to parse it
are on their own; the other thinks that /proc is meant to be
machine-readable and that humans should write prettyprinter programs if
they want it nicely formatted for the eye. Isn't there some way to
reconcile the two views, or at least settle which one is correct?

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Those who will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.