Re: Threads question

Michael Nelson (mikenel@netcom.com)
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:32:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> > People who think they need thousands of threads really don't, they
> > just need to heavily rethink their design.
>
> Disclaimer: I am not an expert systems programmer, and David is.
>
> Still, though, there are legitimate applications wherein having multiple
> thousands of threads necessary. The most active IRC server on the net,
> from what I understand, is a FreeBSD Pentium which can accept ~1500 (this
> is from memory) connections.

I don't agree.

A much more efficient solution would be to setup a small pool of threads
to handle the incoming network I/O and work-related tasks which can grow
and shrink as needed based on average work load or a similar algorithm.

Thousands of threads is a waste of resources (CPU & memory), IMHO.

-mike