Re: mail from uid#1@nic.funet.fi?

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@tele.fi)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:18:20 +0300 (EET DST)

> For the second time in the past week I've gotten a burst
> of mail from uid#1@nic.funet.fi instead of the usual
> owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu. This is happening
> in the other linux mailing lists from rutgers as well,
> and unfortunately I can't sort on the "Fake-Sender:"
> header. Is anyone else seeing this happen? I've
> attached a sample header to the end of this message.

Yes, the system at nic.funet.fi lost its idea about
what the user database is because of a mis-fortunate
bit of code inside perl-mirror.

It did happen twice before we were able to figure out
which part of our automatic system was the culprit..

The system ZMailer has also been updated to survive
the lack of account information by shutting itself down,
instead of proceeding with bad information, which did
produce those "Fake-Sender:" headers...

As to why the VGER sends all EDU and COM directed mail
to Finland ... that is because it can not all by itself
do the deliveries, and relies on a stronger machine to
do it. I would be happy to reroute all COM and EDU to
somewhere in USA, but nobody has volunteered to run a
powerfull enough machine to handle the flood.

"powerfull" is relative term. Using sendmail will kill
a super-computer, but with ZMailer a 100 MHz Pentium
with 64-128 MB memory will do just fine.

/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi> nic.funet.fi postmaster
<matti.aarnio@tele.fi> (work at Telecom Finland)