Re: procfs problems

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 16:48:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Illuminati Primus wrote:
> Or how about /proc/net/eth/(0/1/2/3/etc)/blah
> with one of "blah" containing identification of the card type
> there could also be a directory that contains card-specific data..
> That way the interface would be the same for all ethernet devices, yet
> special data could still go into a predefined location

The only reason I put forth the same style of driver-centric
view of proc, is I beleive that the present maintainer of
/proc/scsi won't go for /proc/scsi/scsi0/.., /proc/scsi/scsi1/..
approach . ( Believe me, I've asked. At least not without alot of
further work/enhancements to the scsi layers )

But the driver-centric approach is alright as long as it is
used for all areas that use/need a driver.

I prefer the eth0, eth1, scsi0, scsi1, approach . :-)

Tnx, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Still in Progress . IE: No Progress To Report ;-) <-|