Re: procfs problems

yuri mironoff (yuri@buster.rgti.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 19:37:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Instead of haphazardly cocking up a patch in 10 minutes, I want to make
> sure of doing it The Right Way, The First Time(tm). That's why I'm opening
> this to discussion to make sure I haven't missed anything. Perhaps someone
> can shed light on A Better Way(tm).
>
> I've received a lot of positive comments in email, so I think i'll start
> on a new procfs proposal. I want to get the overall design approved before
> I start cranking out patches.

Hello,

I agree with the idea of standardizing the /proc filesystem. However,
I would like this to go further than just reformatting the current output.
All drivers should report statistics in a standard way. Let me give you
an example:

To obtain IO statistics about two different brand SCSI controllers, I
would have to write two different parsers - one for each /proc entry. Not
to mention the fact that /proc entries for some controllers don't even
report IO statistics.

Basically the current situation is that drivers report what they want -
any way they want to report it. This prevents us from writing any sort
of STANDARD analysis tools - something crutial to system tuning.

My vote is for standardizing CONTENT as well as format.

Regards,

Y.