Re: 2.0.x Cyrix patch on 2.0.30

David A Rusling (rusling@linux.reo.dec.com)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 22:53:56 +0000

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, David A Rusling wrote:
>
> > I built 2.0.30 + cyrix patches on my (Pentium) laptop for my home machine and it
> > worked fine. Then I built what I thought was the same thing on my home
> > Cyrix 686 machine and it crashes during boot. It's probably a version/patch
> > skew problem, I've synchronised the source trees for both machines but
> > I haven't had time to rebuild and retry...

Yup, it was a version/patch skew. 2.0.29 from helsinki plus the cyrix patches
works on my 686 machine

> Note that the 2.0 Cyrix patch is a semi-official offshoot of
> the real patch which is development work against 2.1. The current
> version is known broken with VSPM enabled with non-power-of-2
> sizes of RAM (a missing pg_dir++) and may enable some less than
> stable functionality on the 5x86.

Yup, VSPM in 2.0.30 will not even build.

> (The next 2.1 version will fix things, describe Cx486 family
> chips in /proc/cpuinfo correctly, recognise Cyrix M2 (if you
> can find one) and use AMD's extended CPUID to get the hardcoded
> CPU description on K5 and K6's. I doubt I'll find time to do
> a 2.0 version but someone else might)

One volunteer is worth 10 pressed men; I'll do it...

> Mike
>
> --
> .----------------------------------------------------------------------.
> | Mike Jagdis | Internet: mailto:mike@roan.co.uk |
> | Roan Technology Ltd. | |
> | 54A Peach Street, Wokingham | Telephone: +44 118 989 0403 |
> | RG40 1XG, ENGLAND | Fax: +44 118 989 1195 |
> `----------------------------------------------------------------------'

...especially as I live in the same town:

4 Cumberland Way
Woosehill
Wokingham
629025

...fancy a beer?

Dave

David A Rusling Principal Engineer
European Semiconductor Applications Digital Equipment Co Ltd.,
Engineering PO Box 121,
Imperial Way,
Worton Grange
Reading RG2 0TU
Linux, Alpha, StrongArm, PCI Tel: UK-(0)1734-204380
Fax: UK-(0)1734-203133