Re: 2.0.x Cyrix patch on 2.0.30

Leigh Koven (compulov@thecore.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:39:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Mike Jagdis wrote:

> (The next 2.1 version will fix things, describe Cx486 family
> chips in /proc/cpuinfo correctly, recognise Cyrix M2 (if you
> can find one) and use AMD's extended CPUID to get the hardcoded
> CPU description on K5 and K6's. I doubt I'll find time to do
> a 2.0 version but someone else might)

I'm glad to see that development is continuing on the Cyrix patches, which
have made some noticeable improvements on my 6x86. My only question is,
when, if ever, will this stuff get integrated into the "official" kernel?
It would make things a little easier having it integrated, then having the
patch broken after every few kernel revisions. Also, as sort of an
aesthetic note, is it possible to have the kernel identify a Cyrix 6x86 as
a 6x86 and not a pentium, ie, it would show up in uname -a as running on
a Cx6x86 or something. Not that it would be a big deal, but it would look
cool :)
Keep up the great work, Mike!

-Leigh

| Mr. Leigh Koven - compulov@thecore.com - http://www.thecore.com/~compulov/ |
| Tech Support, Sales, and All-Around Hacker for TechnoCore Communications |
| Compulov on TechnoCore's IRC Server - irc.thecore.com |
| Send E-mail or check the keyservers for my PGP Key, 0xD7B3D709 <-new!! |
| PGP Key Fingerprint: CA 47 98 50 48 69 A6 D2 25 7C 28 0A CB 3F 30 4A |