Re: linux memory requirement

Woodstock (woody@balintrc.gardens.udayton.edu)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 07:36:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Charlie Ross wrote:

> What is the MINIMUM ammount of memory to boot linux?
> With the kernel survive with just the 640k? (assuming I dont tven think for
> a second about using a ramdisk)

Hey... The kernel _itself_ is almost 640K once unpacked!!! And you expect
to run programs as well? I dunna think so. You can't find _any_ ram to
pump that lil' machine up to 2MB??

woody@beer.com http://131.238.95.31/woody - Woody
balint@udayton.edu SysAdmin of WoodyNet!
"Bless me Father, for my C program has performed Segmentation Violation"
"A grave sin indeed, my son..." replied the Priest.
"I know... I know... Is there any chance for Salvation??"
The Priest ponders for an Eternity. Then he replies, "An offering of cold
beer and pizza to the Linus _may_ save your pitiful soul, my son. Go now,
or risk perdition of your life!!"