Re: your mail

Greg Alexander (galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:42:22 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> POSIX doesn't specify this call, but the BSD definition of RLIMIT_DATA
> is per-process, and *unshared* data memory only.
>
> What you implemented is also useful, although I'd suggest chosing a
> different resource name (say, RLIM_TOTAL_DATA) which does what you want.

It would be trivial to change this. As I consider it unlikely that this
will make it into the kernel, I'm not going to bother to make it more
standardized, as I find it to be most useful as it is and I don't feel like
recompiling lshell. :)

> No, kernel threads won't be pre-emptively switched; that would require
> making very fundamental changes in how the kernel works, and require a
> lot of fine-grained locking that's not necessary for non-SMP
> configurations.

That's what I expected.

> The right thing to do is to fix the ext2 compression patch is that it
> periodically yields control to allow other threads to run.....

It's not threaded at all. Is there any way to have it yield if it doesn't
use kernel_threads? I really don't know much about in-kernel scheduling.

Greg Alexander
http://www.cia-g.com/~sietch/
----
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a
tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes
in the house.
-- Paul Erdos
also -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"