Re: ld.so 1.9.1 and glibc 2.0.1

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@i44d2.info.uni-karlsruhe.de)
31 Mar 1997 09:03:00 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.970330214341.4772C-100000@chaos.analogic.com> "Richard B. Johnson" <root@analogic.com> writes:

> I tried to send in a report using the "%*^#%^#(8~#" script provided,
> and it uses Emacs!! Emacs on this machine is broken and seg-faults.
> I had to modify the script to use vi. Then, after all that work,
> I never even got a reply.

You certainly got a reply. But even if you would not have seen any,
what do you expect? I cannot sit 24 hours here and answer questions.
I have more important things to do since 90% of all complains about
2.0.1 and 2.0.2 I got are user errors. Second, if the script uses
emacs you haven't told it otherwise. If you don't use Emacs, you
should always set the environment variable EDITOR to vi or whatever
you use. If you don't know about this variable better start learning
about setups of Unix environment. Many scripts and programs depend on
this variable.

Third, I look at your problem but I have no clue how this can ever be
possible. Nobody reported something similar and compiling glibc
several hundred of times myself never showed this as well. I guess
it's a broken installed gcc.

--
-- Uli
---------------.      drepper@cygnus.com  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5