Re: LILO - NT and Linux

Rudolf Leitgeb (leitgeb@stanford.edu)
28 Mar 1997 17:25:11 GMT

In article <XFMail.970328104336.tschenk@unisql.com>,
Tom Schenk <tschenk@unisql.com> writes:
> Which version of NT are you talking about? I have a system which has three
> partitions, one for Windows 3.11, one for Win NT 3.5.1 and the rest for
> Linux and I use LILO without any problems whatsoever. The install order was
> Windows 3.11, Windows NT and finally Linux and LILO. The only thing I do that
> most people don't is install LILO in the master boot record. I instead put
> LILO where I have always put it, on the Linux root partition, which I make the
> active partition. I also use the message keyword in my lilo.conf file and
> have a nice text menu something like this:

I guess, that due to my inexperience and time constraints I tried to put lilo in the
master boot record. This trashed my NT partition (Actually it didn't do anything to
the NT partition but NT was braindead enough to refuse to boot until I installed it
again from scratch). AT this point I gave up and decided to use lilo. I'm glad that
you found a much nicer solution and encourage everybody to use it.

Rudi

--