Re: LILO - NT and Linux

Tom Schenk (tschenk@unisql.com)
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:20:40 -0600 (CST)

On 26-Mar-97 Rudolf Leitgeb wrote:
>In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970325113700.17934K-100000@fotd.netcomi.com>,
> "James L. McGill" <fishbowl@fotd.netcomi.com> writes:
>>

>> On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, SubbaRao V. Chitturi wrote:
>>
>>>1. Is it possible to have NT and Linux on the same disk? Where can I
>>>find more information about using high-end OSs on the same disk along
>>>with Linux?
>
>I have that. The only thing that will not work is lilo, i.e. you have to
>use loadlin instead (which works _very_ nicely)

Which version of NT are you talking about? I have a system which has three
partitions, one for Windows 3.11, one for Win NT 3.5.1 and the rest for
Linux and I use LILO without any problems whatsoever. The install order was
Windows 3.11, Windows NT and finally Linux and LILO. The only thing I do that
most people don't is install LILO in the master boot record. I instead put
LILO where I have always put it, on the Linux root partition, which I make the
active partition. I also use the message keyword in my lilo.conf file and
have a nice text menu something like this:

Select operating system to start:

1. Linux (2.0.29)
2. Linux (2.1.29)
3. Win NT Boot Menu

Defaults to Linux in 30 seconds.

boot:

I also do this on my Win 95/Linux/FreeBSD machine.

Tom

--
 | Tom Schenk           | Use Linux!        | Any opinions expressed here are |