Re: Multi-threaded gdb?

Vance Huntley (vance@webgenesis.com)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:52:32 -0500

E. Kevin Hall wrote:

> Hello all, excuse if this is _slightly_ off topic, but this is
> definitely the place to ask it.
>
> I was speaking with an aquaintance who informed me that the linux
> port of what might be considered a landmark commerical application
> for linux is hanging on whether he can get the code ported from
> win32s. This of course, requires a debugger(gdb) that can handle
> threads. However, as far as he knows, no such beast exists though one
> was supposedly "in the making".
>
> I have scowered the quite uninformative gnu.org site but found
> nothing (literally). Does anyone have any knowledge about this?
> Any leads?

I discussed this with Xavier Leroy, the developer of LinuxThreads, some
time back and was sad to discover that there is no such beast as a
thread-safe gdb for linux. gdb does have thread support, but it doesn't
seem to work with LinuxThreads. It is possible that gdb works with some
of the other, non-clone() based threading packages; I have not
investigated any of those.

I've managed to live without a debugger with extensive use of logging
and assertions. Debuggers aren't of much help tracking down concurancy
problems anyway.

Cheers-

Vance

Vance Huntley  ---  vance@webgenesis.com