Re: Nice Text (No Icky Text)

atporter (atporter@entropy.muc.muohio.edu)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 08:58:57 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997 bofh@snoopy.virtual.net.au wrote:

> I think that we could get more benefit from having a nicer display
> of text messages than from a graphical splash-screen. What I would
> like to see is a screen that's similar to a HP workstation booting
> where you have check boxes for various bits of hardware and drivers
> which get ticked at appropriate stages of the boot up process. It
> looks nice, and clearly shows what's going on, unlike the Linux
> kernel.
>
> Would it be that difficult to get different drivers to display their
> messages in a common format for ease of reading?
>
> Russell Coker

You also need to realize that not all linux boxes are graphics
capable. I have a number of boxes that are running with the termial boot
patch, Linux runs on Sparc's, Alpha's, PPC's, and god knows what all else
in the near future. The graphics capabilites of these systems vary
greatly. If someone wants that patch (ie, RedHat puts something like it
on their disks), great. But putting something like that into the kernel
tree is absurd.

/atp