Re: /dev on Ramdisk cause panic?

William Burrow (aa126@fan1.fan.nb.ca)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 01:19:23 -0400 (AST)

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Joshua Spoerri wrote:

> tar czf /dev.tgz -C /dev .
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram bs=1k count=32; sync
> mke2fs /dev/ram; sync
> mount -t ext2 /dev/ram /dev
^^^^
> tar xzf /dev.tgz -C /dev
>
> quickly causes a kernel panic. why?
> (it is very useful for readonly /.)

Why are you mounting the ramdisk on your /dev/ directory?? This might in
itself cause problems. Linux doesn't seem to mind too much using a
directory with files in it as a mount point, however I have always
understood that Unix tends to like an empty directory.

Using devices on a ramdisk works very well (to 2.0.29 anyway), I use them
every day. One problem I found is that sometimes mke2fs messes up when
creating the filesystem. I didn't quite follow up on this, I'm not sure
if it not a hardware problem. Specify the number of blocks to mke2fs, eg:

mke2fs /dev/ram 32

--
William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network, New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1997 William Burrow