Re: Tyan Tempest MB

Kultarr (kultarr@ipass.net)
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 12:25:40 -0500

Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Kultarr wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having a problem with the PCI bios support (when
> > enabled) in the Linux kernel on a machine with a Tyan
> > Tempest motherboard and a Buslogic SCSI controller.
> >
> > If anyone out there has the above system and would like
> > to help, please send me an e-mail to eas@ipass.net. I
> > am especially interested in anyone that has gotten such
> > a system to work with the PCI bios support turned on in
> > the Linux kernel. (I haven't been able to get it to
> > work since the version 1.2.x kernels.)
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Eric
> >
> Enlighten us, what's the problem ?

I've discussed this off-line with Leonard Zubkoff already.
(Our discussion is pending further experimentation by myself
when I get the time to test his recommendations.)

The problem is that it just plain does not work. The PCI code
in the kernel causes the SCSI controller to "completely
disappear" on my Tempest board. Everything works if and
only if I turn off the PCI BIOS support in the kernel.

We suspect the problem is with the motherboard. I am asking
here to see if anyone else has gotten it to work so I can
compare motherboard BIOS versions and determine if my broken
BIOS was ever fixed and if so which version. The dealer that
sold me the motherboard no longer deals with Tyan and is
of no use.

My specific problem is the RedHat 4.1 distribution's boot
disk comes with PCI enabled. Booting with their bootdisk
means I can't access my hard drives, CD-ROM, etc. which
pretty much makes doing a nice easy upgrade impossible.
(Yes, I have already held discussions with their support
people as well.)

--
Eric