Re: ISS patch problem?

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:22:28 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> Ok, all reports seem to indicate that after up to 30 seconds the
> problems disappear.
>
> This means the socket is hanging around in the lookup tables until a
> timeout occurs.
>
> Are you just killing off sendmail, then trying to start it back up
> right there and then, and this is when you see the error? If so, this
> should be easy to track down, fix, test, and get into test4.

I was trying to start it back up immediately...i.e.

kill 85 && /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q2h

I think it only did work after I let it go a bit with no sendmail running.

If the problem is just old sockets hanging around, why are things like
sendmail and apache suddenly dying in the first place?

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______