Re: Linux 2.1.26 Compile error

Olaf Kirch (okir@monad.swb.de)
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 22:05:18 +0100 (MET)

From: okir@monad.swb.de (Olaf Kirch)
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Linux 2.1.26 Compile error

Concerning the problems with __start___ksymtab and friends: I experienced
the same problems after upgrading to binutils-2.7.0.{3,9}, and they did
not go away after upgrading to the latest bin86 package.

After looking into the ld source, I found the place where __start
and __stop symbols are generated, but my copy of ld failed to do
so. Apparently, the binary package on sunsite is broken in this respect,
because as I recompiled and installed 2.7.0.9, everything worked fine
(use ./configure --host=i486-linux --prefix=/usr).

There's one pitfall, though -- the kernel Makefiles check for the presence
of encaps, and if it's there, invoke objdump with flags -k -q. These flags
are no longer supported. Remove encaps, and the kernel will pick objcopy
instead, which works flawlessly.

Cost me a whole day this bugger:-)

Cheers
Olaf

--
Olaf Kirch         | La tache du voyageur n'est pas de detruire des legendes,
okir@monad.swb.de  | c'est d'en creer...  La realite, c'est la monnaie de