Re: NFS problem with 2.0.25

arnal (arnal@limsi.fr)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:49:42 +0100

Ulrich Windl wrote:

> When I compile within Emacs on a NFS mounted filesystem, I frequently get
> the following error from make when I saved a source file immediately
> before starting make:
>
> make: *** File `TextArea.cc' has modification time in the future
>
> If I re-run the compilation, it will succeed. The clocks of both, the
> client and the server are synchronized within 50ms. I suspect the NFS
> attribute cache being flushed on write, and the attributes on the server
> are not yet updated, or is it just the other way round (attributes in the
> cache are still old)?
>
> Ulrich

Hello.

I don't think it's come from linux kernel. I see, a few days ago, the
same
problem on Sun-OS. I think it's better something bad with NFS server,
clock synchronisation, and perhaps the version of make. For me, I
have to wait about 40s beforce I can suceed the compilation. This 40s
seems to be the diff time between the clock's of the two computers.
If I remenber, I never seen this error on make 3.74. Think's there was
some
change between make 3.74 and make 3.75 that could explain that.

            ARNAL Laurent        email:  arnal@limsi.fr
                                         arnal@ie2.u-psud.fr
  / __/\ /  \/ /\ / __  /\/ __/\ 11 rue de SEVRES,75006 PARIS,France.
				 LIMSI/CNRS, BP 133, F-91403 Orsay