Re: IDE Disk Problems

Mark Johnson (octopus@zipcon.net)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:00:44 -0800 (PST)

I'd suggest making sure your drives are cool, buy a couple fans for your
system(s), if they don't have any now.
I've also read that power is very important. If you can, isolate your
equipment onto their own circuit, be sure its not shared with heavy power
consumers (like a washing machine, oven, heater, etc.).

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Gary Vinson wrote:
> We are running Linux Redhat 3.0.3 (1.2.13 kernel) using Cyrix 586.
> We have lost one Western Digital Caviar 31600 (1.6GB) IDE drive and
> one WD Caviar (700MB) IDE drive. Now, when I say lost, I mean that when
> the system is rebooted, the disk sounds like it is physcially broke. There
> is a periodic clanging noise, as if one of the drive components is
> actually damaged. At this point, we don't get past the BIOS.
>
> These two drives ran for approximately one month each
> before dieing. Prior to this, we noticed in our system messages:
>
> kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x4b { DriveRead DataRequest Index Error }
> " " read_intr: error=0x04 { Drive Status Error}
> " ide0: do_ide_reset: success
[snip]