Re: [masq] 1st virus in Linux :( (fwd)

Ray Auchterlounie (rda@kythera.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 22:58:50 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970210105253.7863A-100000@gatekeeper.burgessinc.com>
Nathan Bryant <nathan@burgessinc.com> wrote:
[...]
> [...]
[...]

>Unfortunately there is no DGA version of Doom. (Doom was released long
>before DGA became available.) It would be nice if X servers other than
>XFree86 supported DGA, too. :(

At least according to a thread on c.o.l.d.s, DGA requires setuid root
as well (or, quake suggests "chmod 666 /dev/mem" - erm...). Also DGA
programs are responsible for dropping permissions themselves (SVGAlib
does it for you).

On that basis I'd say DGA looks worse for security than SVGAlib :-(

Ray

--
Ray Auchterlounie                     <rda@kythera.demon.co.uk>
         "Forty Two! Is that all you've got to show for