Re: 2.1.26: kernel panic, free list corrupted

John Gotts (jgotts@engin.umich.edu)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:58:34 -0500

In message <XFMail.970208115247.root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de>, Meino Chr
istian Cramer writes:

>I have tried to download binary files with netscape. All
>files with exactly 24k (as shown by the directory listing
>of the visited site) were truncated/corrupted. All other
>files -- longer or shorter -- had no problems.

Strange. How reproducible is the problem?

>After closing the connection, I played around with pppstats.
>It showed zero packets transfered currently -- seemed to
>be normal, but why not reporting

> ioctl(SIOCGPPPSTATS): No such device ?

>(as showed after rebooting...)

>Then I do a "man pppstats" and the whole thing hanged.
>Rien ne vas plus.

>After rebooting I found a

> Feb 8 11:16:17 solfire kernel: Kernel panic: Free list corrupted

>in the syslog file.

This might be related to the network statistics that have recently been added
to the kernel, i.e. byte counts.

>I have also two question. Every time I reboot the kernel, I am
>prompted with

> route forgot to specify route netmask.

Apparently you forgot the read the files in the Documentation directory. You
need to get iproute, as specified in linux/Documentation/networking/
routing.txt.

>(netmask is set to 255.255.255.255 as shown by route during a
>ppp-connection -- every time it should be 255.255.255.0 ?!?!?!? )

>Are there things wrong specified/configurated in my box?

>Another thing:

> Feb 7 18:45:06 solfire modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Feb 7 18:45:06 solfire modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

>appears every time I reboot. This modules have something to do with
>appletalk. I dont use that. I have removed all things which have to
>do with "appletalk" from /etc/services and /etc/conf.modules. No
>"appletalk" appears in my /lib/modules/2.1.26/modules.dep.

>How can I switch off these message?

Please read linux/Documentation/modules.txt, which suggests:

alias net-pf-3 off
alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@engin.umich.edu> http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts
Senior, EE/Motif Programmer/SysAdmin/Linux Hacker/Amateur Radio Callsign N8QDW