RE: Kernel Patches for Slackware

Meino Christian Cramer (root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:58:19 -0000 (???)

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Meino Christian Cramer <root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de>
Date: 10-Feb-97
Time: 17:58:21

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------

High John!

Do the following:

1.) Put the complete source of your to /usr/src/linux/*
(This could be done by a symbolic link, if your partition is
full... ;-)

2.) cd /usr/src
cp <path of patch>/patch-2.*gz .
(Either the hacker-kernel-tree-patches or the user
kernel-tree-patches)

3.) Look for the correct sequence of patches, I can't remember
the whole series... :*)

4.) Then:
gzip -d <first-patch> | patch -p0
cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
cd -
gzip -d <second-patch> | patch -p9

and so on.

make mrproper isn't really necessary after each single step,
but it keeps your partition less filled with *.orig-files.

5.) After all this:
cd /usr/src/linux
more README

Search for "ln -s". You will find the instructions for making
some symbolic links which are necessary for compiling not
only the kernel but many other sources.

7.) start X, cd /usr/src/linux, make xconfig

or

7.) DONT start X, cd /usr/src/linux, make menuconfig or make config

8.) Choose the right options for your box, don't include feature
as modules which are vital used while booting.

9.) Save your configurattion

10.) Leave the configuration.
( make dep; make clean; make zImage; make modules; \
make modules_install ) > MAKELOG 2>&1; tail -f MAKELOG
11.) Have a tea......
12.) Have a tea......
13.) Have a tea......
14.) After the compile process stops, press CTRL-C to stop tail.
15.) cd/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/
(I suppose you have an Intel-PC???)

16.) cp zImage /vmlinuz.new (DONT OVERWRITE YOUR OLD KERBEL!!!)
17.) edit /etc/linux.conf and add a new kernel image entry
18.) execute lilo
19.) Wathc the output for errors.
20.) DONT REBOOT!!!
21.) Check http://www.ecsnet.com/ for informations, what
programs you need to update before using the new kernel.
Especially if you are using the hacker kernel (2.1.x)
22.) DONT INSTALL libc and similiar libraries on a running
system. It WILL hang. Instead use boot disks!
(I know, what I am talking about :-(

23.) After installing the programs, reboot. At the LILO-
prompt enter the name of your new kernel (label entry
in lilo.conf)

24.) If it works: HAVE FUN!
If it dont work: Additionally HAVE AN IDEA WHAT GOES WRONG! ;-)

25.) At last: Forgive me for using my crude english -- it's not my
mother's tongue....

26.) If you have questions: use my email adress ;-)

At last: You have a backup and bootdisks handy?

KEEP HACKING!
meino
...who dances with modems...

Build an operating system, even a fool can use --
and no one else will use it...