Re: Bliss Virus (fwd)

Seth M. Landsman (seth@cs.brandeis.edu)
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 19:42:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, James L. McGill wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Seth Edwards wrote:
>
> >The Bliss virus is currently a Linux binary-infecting virus.
> >Unfortunately, please do not feel your safe.
>
> So could somebody credible please comment officially on this
> topic. I have to assume this is a hoax given the inflammatory
> nature of the message and the numerous spelling and grammar
> errors. Can we get CERT (LERT?) to try this "virus" code,
> so that if it turns out to be legitimate, proper warnings can
> be disseminated through the proper (credible) channels?
> Forgive me if I have jumped in at the heat of the moment,
> not knowing whether this was heard through reliable sources.
>
> If asked, will the poster of this message provide virus code
> to the members of this list? I expect this virus to suddenly,
> mysteriously disappear, based on that question.

There is a virus scanner that has been distributed by McAfee.
There isn't any harm, I believe, in getting the virus scanner and checking
your system. The fact that McAfee has sent out a press release about it
and created this software tends to add some credibility.
(http://www.mcafee.com, I believe has the press release and software).
It is very possible that this is a hoax, but do you think that it
is a good idea to treat it as a hoax until it is *PROVEN* to be a hoax?

-Seth

|"We pray for one last landing, | Seth M. Landsman |
| On the globe that gave us birth. | Dept. of Computer Science |
| Let us rest our eyes on fleecy skies,| Brandeis University |
| And the cool, Green Hills of Earth" | |
| -Green Hills of Earth | "I'm in ninteenth grade!" |
| RAH | |
| "Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity" |
| "Someday I want an office with walls" |