Exception during kernel compile?

Murple (btherl@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au)
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 01:05:22 +1100 (EST)

> From: Michael Driscoll <fenris@lightspeed.net>
>
> >> bleh, various Exception at [<c012c6ec>] (c01ã8eã4) type messages..
> >
> >Basically, this means that some process passed an invalid pointer to the
> >kernel. Check out Documentation/exception.txt, and arch/i386/mm/fault.c.
> >This really isn't much to worry about.
>
> What's interesting is that I reliably get an exception sometime
> when compiling the kernel. This is an i586 running 2.1.x, using
> 'make oldconfig; make dep clean zlilo modules modules_install' to
> compile.

Now that you mention it, I was compiling the kernel when the last exception
happened.. The rest fit into this pattern too. I took a closer look, and the
exception occurs during the following:

ar rcs cdrom.a

This creates an 8 byte file with '!<arch>' in it. I'm using binutils 2.7.0.3,
gcc 2.7.2 and the exceptions began with either kernel 2.1.23 or 24, and are
still here in 25. None of the files in the directory ar is run in are compiled
during 'make', but cdrom.o is compiled as a module. Something is awry..