Re: [offtopic] Re: If Linux is to succeed

W. Reilly Cooley (wcooley@navi.net)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 14:22:26 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > > Compare this with the 167 Linux system calls.
> >
> > You, however, are neglecting that the many Windows API calls are for
> > graphical manipulation, e.g., InvalidateRect(), MsgBox(), and
> > ShowWindow(). For this to be an accurate comparison you'd also have to
> > include the Xlib and perhaps also X Toolkit calls.
>
> pc5829:/usr/X11R6/man/man3$ grep -l 'XLIB FUNCTIONS' * | wc -l
> 181
> pc5829:/usr/X11R6/man/man3$ grep -l 'XT FUNCTIONS' * | wc -l
> 95
>
> 181+95 calls.

Point taken. 167+181+95=443 vs ~1500

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley
The Naked Ape Consulting
1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 979232
503 287-2165
wcooley@navi.net
http://www.navi.net/~wcooley

As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of $250 per hour. Delivery of
said correspondence constitutes a request for the afforementioned services
at said price.