Re: Load balancing over Ethernet ...

Rob Hagopian (Rob.Hagopian@vuser.vu.union.edu)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 04:05:10 -0500

Thomas Abraham wrote:

> Hi gurus,
>
> nice work you've done. I've a (may be) strange question - is it possible to
> share the load between two ethernet's using the eql driver ?
>
> +-------+ +-------+ |
> | Box 1 | | Box 2 | |
> | | | | ???+---+ |
> | | eth0+---------------+eth0 | |
> +---+??? | | ???+-------+
> | eth1+---------------+eth1 | |
> +---+??? | | ???+---+ |
> | | | | | |
> | +-------+ +-------+ |
>
> Sample configuration
>

> Or to share the load between an ethernet and a dialup line ?
>
> If it's possible, how should I configure the whole thing ?
>
> Thank you in advance.

I was under the impression that if both devices are set up the same, and
both given the same metric values in ifconfig and route, that the
networking code would use both devices equally. However, I can't quickly
find where I read this...

OTOH, I've been thinking of doing this for a pair of machines that we have.
One is a web/ftp server, the other is the user machine. They share the same
disks for the web pages, via NFS. I've been thinking of just getting 2
100-BT cards and connecting them through a crossover cable. That provides
more than enough bandwidth than the striped (via MD) drives can fill.
-Rob Hagopian