Re: EDO Memory Blues

Jason Burrell (jburrell@crl.crl.com)
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 17:48:35 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Nicholas J. Leon wrote:
>
> > I'm hoping that someone could clear something up for me. It is in
> > regards to memory. If you will remember, about 1 week ago I posted a
> > comment about my new ASUS and it's EDO ram that wouldn't work unless I
> > cut it in half with a mem=8m boot parameter. It was that letter that
> > sparked the thread on NMI/ECC.
>
> My 6x86 P150+ machine with (2) 16MB EDO SIMMs began exhibiting exactly
> the same symptoms - this is scary. I didn't even know anything was
> wrong until noticing 'top' reporting a low (read: factor of 0.5) figure
> for total memory. About 4 out of 5 times, Linux would think there was
> only a total of 16M installed. If I forced its hand with a boot-time
> commandline setting, things would almost work; but I'd see instant
> Signal 11 faults when running GCC.
>
> Replacing both modules with 16MB Fast-page (parity) SIMMs from another
> box cured the problem completely.

I have a P133 with a Premio motherboard and 32MB (two 16MB SIMMS) EDO
installed on the board. I've had no problems.

I wonder if there's some kind of incompatability between your motherboards
and Linux? My motherboard mentions that I have "single side, EDO" RAM in
my system, so it apparently detects that it's EDO RAM.