Re: total freeze - 2.0.23/2.0.24/2.0.25 (fwd)

D. Chiodo (djc@microwave.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 22:56:51 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Paul Dunne wrote:

> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:46:07 GMT
> From: Paul Dunne <paul@tiny1.demon.co.uk>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: total freeze - 2.0.23/2.0.24/2.0.25 (fwd)
> Newsgroups: linux.dev.kernel
>

> On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Paul Dunne wrote:
>
> > If you are running named and it does not have access to the real net, did
> > you take out the default "root.cache"? If not then your nameserver is
> > trying to contact the root nameserver (unsuccessfully), and that timeout
> > is what you are getting.
>
> Yes, that sounds like a solution; and indeed, I do have a line for
> the root.cache. But it is not the solution. I removed the root.cache
> entry, and the delay still occurs.

Hrm.. I assume you did restart the nameserver after..

If this nameserver is not connected to the Internet, you might have to
make it authoritative for the root zone (IE: primary), and any zones
between the root and any others you are using. It's confused because it
cant see the root zone of the database.

And actually, if you are not connected to the Internet, you can define
your own TLDs (perhaps to match departments or offices at your company),
or just use hostnames right at the root level.