Re: Q: NTFS?

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 21:05:02 -0500

From: Albert Cahalan <albert@ccs.neu.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:56:16 -0500 (EST)

Right now, NTFS is working read-only. NT security features
are completely ignored, so comp.os.ms-windows.security readers
are a bit concerned. Compression is supported.

If NT isn't using real cryptography to protect its "security" features,
then the people on comp.os.ms-windows.securities have no grounds upon
which to complain, at least not us. Let them scream at Microsquish for
providing insecure operating systems.....

The windows people can really panic when I write a registry editor.

<Grin> Of course, we wouldn't want people to use it to turn a NT
Workstation system into a NT Server system, oh no.... :-)

NTFS uses logging and B-trees almost everywhere. The log file
can run out of space, in which case all filesystem activity
must stop and incomplete transactions must be rolled back!
Then the log file can be cleared and restarted. Nobody on the
NTFS list knows how to make the Linux VFS layer undo and reissue
filesystem operations. Logging filesystem experts are needed.
(NTFS uses logging, but it is not a just a log) It seems that
stipped disks will be hard to support.

I doubt we'd want to get the Linux VFS layer involved. It sounds like
it could be done entirely within the NTFS layer. If you run out of
space, presumably what you'll need to do is to store transactions in
memory during the rollback, clearing, and reissue process. And if the
system crashes during this operation, it's hasta luego to all of the
data hadn't been fully committed to the log.....

- Ted