RE: Cyrix 6x86

Ray Van Tassle-CRV004 (Ray_Van_Tassle-CRV004@email.mot.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 8:21:15 -0600

> On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Mike Jagdis wrote:
>

> > >I'd really, really... _really_ like to see some of these Cyrix
> > >patches getting into the 2.1 kernel.
> >
> > If someone will tell me if a rev 4 chip works or not with SUSP_HLT
> > enabled (i.e. is there a chip problem or a motherboard/memory
> > problem) and if the 5x86 code works I think it could go in.
> >
> > There are some questions I would like to know the answers to but
> > they aren't a big problem. I think I've managed to get them through
> > the firewalling at Cyrix to someone who might be able to address
> > them but it might be a while...
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Well, Soo far i have the Cyrix 6x86 Enabled, 6x86 with VSPM and amazing it
> works properly. i guess sometimes the SUSP_HLT doesn't freak out... but
> soo far for revision 4, sometimes it crash's but not mostly...

I have a rev 2.7 chip. These changes seem to work ok, but there seems to be
NO difference in performance. In fact, even with the "6x86opt.zip" which
turns on lots of 6x86 features, there seems to be no difference. Kernel
compile (which is mostly CPU bound) takes just as long with as without.

-30- Ray