Re: your mail

Greg Alexander (galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:36:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Paul Dunne wrote:

> I too have an NE2000. I thought at first that the problem was related
> to networking. The Linux box is on a small local network, and it
> takes several minutes to connect to any TCP/IP service - I've tried
> telnet, ftp, http - on the Linux box from a DOS or Windows client.
> They work, but there is this consistent delay. Samba works fine, with
> no delays. I had a hunch that the two phenomena - the crashing and
> the delay - were connected; I tested this by leaving the Linux box
> unconnected to the local network.

If you are connecting to a linux box over a lan without an NFS, you must
have all computers that will be connecting to it listed in /etc/hosts.
Otherwise your box will stupidly dilly dally around for a minute waiting
for the NFS to respond or something. This may only happen if eth0 is your
default route, I'm not sure. Add them to /etc/hosts and see if the delay
goes away.

> This test did not yield the expected results; the crashing continued.
> I have now reverted to 2.0.23, which is very stable on my machine;
> but before I did so, I noticed an interesting thing. When using my
> terminal, I could not keep the machine up more than a few hours at
> most; however, if I left the terminal switched off, and used only the
> console, I went a whole day (!) without a crash. So, some problem
> with the serial driver, maybe? I'm no kernel hacker; but there does
> seem to be a kernel problem here.

That could just be a coincidence. I've "fixed" programs to have them
magically work for a week but then crash again from the exact same
problem.

Greg Alexander
http://www.cia-g.com/~sietch/