Re: Printer on fire - I feel like an idiot

Kai Henningsen (kai@khms.westfalen.de)
19 Nov 1996 19:06:00 +0200

msiladin@athos.mas.vcu.edu (Marko Siladin) wrote on 18.11.96 in <9611190201.AA16956@athos.mas.vcu.edu>:

> > Seriously, it's for unknown errors - off line is reported when the
> > printer is off-line, out of paper is reported when the printer is out
> > of paper, on fire is reported when the kernel doesn't know.

> But the problem is that my printer was - off-line and that the driver
> did not detect that. Now I understand that there are many printers out

In that case, the best explanation is probably that either your printer
does something wrong with the signals, or your printer cable is not quite
wired right.

There *is* a definition on how to handle the different signals on that
parallel port. All parties should conform to it, or confusion will result
- as happened in your case.

MfG Kai