Re: Wanted: Logitec Scanner - Any support ?

Hannes Reinecke (hare@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 19:06:53 +0100 (MET)

> On Mon, 18 Nov 1996 linuxsys@ssg.com wrote:
>

> > Davids Lists writes:
> > > Is there any way to input images from a Logitech Pagescan Color from Linux?
> > [...]
> >
> > Me, too.
> >
> > Rick
> >

> Me, too :-)

Ditto.

Okay, don't you think its time to actually _do_ something ??

That's what I've discoverd so far:

- Logitech doesn't respond to any enquiries regardless to which
address (i.e. other than sending you a well-formulated RTFM).

- The Windows driver does only work with Win3.1 & Win95

- It is possible to start Windows under dosemu, but either it fails
with 'VTDAPI.386 not found' (if installed normally) or segfaults in
PROGMAN.EXE (if driver=timer.drv is uncommented in system.ini) or
segfaults in PPACMD16.DLL ( if both driver=timer.drv and
WAKEUP16.DLL is uncommented in system.ini ). The main scanner
program does not work in any case.

- The windows drivers are tricky; I'm under the impression that they
configure the scanner by only _reading_ the various ports (0x378,
0x379 and 0x37a IIRC).

- The log-files from the logitech driver are close to useless.

TODO:
- Can anybody confirm that it is possible to configure the scanner by
only _reading_ ports ??
( I could supply the logfiles from dosemu if needed )

- Can somebody (preferrably in the US) contact Logitech to sqeeze some
information out of them ?

Don't hestitate to contact me.

Happy hacking

Hannes