Re: Printer on fire - I feel like an idiot

Uwe Bonnes (bon@elektron.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:22:23 +0100

"Marko Siladin" <msiladin@athos.mas.vcu.edu> wrote:
> But the problem is that my printer was - off-line and that the driver did
> not detect that. Now I understand that there are many printers out there
> and that it is not easy to write an universal driver. But the point is
> that lp did not recognize that my printer was off-line. The pause button
> on the printer is the closest thing I can see to an off-line (except the
> power switch :) )
You can make the check for an off-line printer more carefully with
"tunelp /dev/lpx -c on"

And you can try how my patches for lp.c to use the FIFO on modern boards
behaves in your situation. Your input is welcome. Find it on
ftp.mathemathik.th-darmstadt.de:/pub/linux/bonnes/fifo-0.92.tar.gz and read
the README there.

--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@elektron.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------