Re: kernel panic with smp and 2.1.7-

Michel LESPINASSE (walken@via.ecp.fr)
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:53:56 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Oliver Francke wrote:

> So, compiled 2.0.25 with SMP support, it initialized the
> two processors and worked well so far...
> Now I wanted to give the 2.1.X-tree a try, but it stopped
> with
> panic("smp_alloc_memory: Insufficient low memory for kernel stacks.\n");

The SMP support for the 2.1 kernel series is beeing worked on. The
particular message you see is caused by a change in the memory map in the
2.1 kernels, but there is a lot of other problems. I've worked a bit on
fixing the assembly language parts, and someone else (Matthias Sattler) is
doing a lot of fixes in the C parts all over the kernel. There is some
progresses, but still I'm not aware of any booting SMP kernel in the 2.1
series.

Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE - Student at Ecole Centrale Paris (France)
www Email : walken@via.ecp.fr
(o o) Http : www.via.ecp.fr/~walken/