Re: "Exception at ..." with 2.1.9 and 2.1.10 kernels

tenthumbs@cybernex.net
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 23:13:43 GMT

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:36:36 +0100 (MET), you wrote:

> No. These messages are absolutely ok. They mean that some user program
> passed bad parameters to a kernel but the kernel dealt with that. This
> means that you usually get an error EFAULT from the current syscall.
>
> The interesting with that message is that it shows how much buggy user code
> is out there. Eg my tcsh binaries generate one line of output per command ...
>
> Ralf

Sorry, I'm still not buying that. Getname comes from linux/fs/namei.c. In
the code, it says that it is copying from user-space to kernel-space for
"efficiency." Exactly how is this a user problem? User code doesn't know
about kernel space.

I still say something's goofy.