Re: News gateway problem

Lars Wirzenius (liw@iki.fi)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 08:27:57 +0200

--==_Exmh_425254148P

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Richard Gooch:
> A number of spammers and their ISPs have already developed
> techniques to get around automatic filtering.

Some filters, not all of them. Forging random addresses does
not help except against the most simplistic filters. See
http://www.vix.com/spam/ for better ideas.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen any spam in my mailbox for
a couple of months, unless it came via a mailing list or came
as a submission to comp.os.linux.announce.

> This is not about getting mad, or even. This is about creating an
> Internet environment where spamming is not profitable.

Mailbombs are not the way to do that. Violence, even if virtual,
only breeds violence. There is no cause good enough to warrant
terrorism.

Remember, this is the Internet, where a child can take out
major corporations and not risk even getting spanked. Surely
you don't want to pick a fight in this situation?

> Anyway, let's not clutter up the list with this discussion.

Right. See http://www.vix.com/spam/ for better approaches than
mailbombs.