binary /proc? [was: Re: proposal for generic interface to /proc text files]

Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at)
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:27:07 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> We really could do with a binary format /proc or (linuxproc) if we want
> to add vast amounts of new toys to it (just for the speed). As to where
> you mount it - you can mount the procfs anywhere you feel anyway.

if it's speed and accuracy what we want, then lets use an event based
thing, instead of the current polling approach.

There could be a binary kernel-event interface that feeds events to a
userspace daemon, which daemon in turn maintains the current ASCII
/proc structure. Fast and neat utilities would hook events directly.

-- mingo