Re: Plea: re-indent the kernel source

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:23:29 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Its when tabs and spaces are mixed that it becomes a problem.
>
> Thats something the net code is bad at still. Originally formatted by
> Ross Biro at 2 space indents in a sort of GNU style it still has a few
>
> One to fix for 2.1

The net code could be run through "indent", as far as I'm concerned. Not only
are there the old indents from the really original code, but the current
maintainsers do seem to agree on the rough indentation (although Alan has a
heretic view on brace placement ;), so just running it through "indent -kr
-i8" would certainly be an option.

Any other pieces I'd agree to run through indent as long as the main
maintainer asks me to do so (I'd prefer to not get patches: just a mail from
the maintainer of some code asking me to run so-and-so files through indent
is sufficient).

(Alan, I won't run the net code through indent until you give the word, and
probably after having gotten the IPv6 patches. So in a few weeks ok with
you?)

Linus