Re: unusual startup messages

Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:51:47 +0000 (GMT)

On 31 Oct 1996, Matthijs Corpeleijn wrote:

> >> ->one more question, is steganography and DES/IDEA crypt going to be
> >> ->incorporated into the kernel in 2.1.x, or are there problems with having
> >> ->cryptography in the kernel?
> >> I don't think Linus is in favour this this.
> >I think it's more of it's written in the US, and getting it in the kernel
> >requires exporting it, which is illegal (tho reimplamenting it is legal,
> >as is exporting a description of what needs doing, and I suspect that a
> >patch is more than a description).
>
> Hmmm.. I don't really get this bit of information. You're saying the
> kernel is written in the US, which it's not, so that couldn't be a
> reason.

No I'm saying the encryption code was written in the US, and as it's
'munitions', it's can't be encorprated in the kernel, which isn't in the
US.

> It's absolutely right though, that according to the ammunition law of the US,
> the im- and export of DES encryption software, or DES encrypted data is
> illegal, unless you have a good reason and a permit to do so.

Nope, Importing munitions into the US is fine, just not the reverse. Ssh
has problems here, it should be freely avalable in the US, as it's legally
importable (from a munitions point of view), but you can't use it's built
in encryption algrothium, because it's not the same code as the offical
pattented version (which is also unexportable as it's a munition ;).

> Building it in
> the kernel isn't a problem, sending it to people in Europe isn't a problem
> either, but people from the US, and Linus himself, would be prosecutable if
> anyone downloaded that kernel that resides in the US. (Completely
> moronic laws? Yes.. But it is no different)

Well you see the problem at least, if a bit sketchy about some details,
and it's a very silly law .... Oh, AFAIK the only person that is legally
persuable for exporting encryption software, is the person that actually
exported it, wether from the inside, or outside of the US.

> (If this is what you were trying to say, my apologies :)
>
> Mad.
>
> -- All of this is my own opinion, etc, (sik)

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.